From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Friday, February 7, 2020

Dear Jay-Lo, put your clothes back on

I find myself on the same side of an issue as right wing Christian fundamentalists which makes me flummoxed.
When I saw the half time performance of Jay-Lo and Shakira I was so shocked I turned it off and had horrible imagery in my head afterwards, Mick Jagger-like tongues, rock solid female bare asses grinding in camera closeup, costumes that barely covered anything…
First thought I had was "the seedy side of town," as in when I was coming of age in the 1950s and 1960s women danced like this, but only in the seedy part of town where the strip joints were. I even remembered a teenage trip to Tijuana where the bar was a front for a whore house, and the stage was populated with bored girls dancing with the same basic movements as Jay-Lo minus the pole, then when a bell rang they'd pull down their bikini bottoms and show what was being offered for sale, then another alarm went off and they'd go back to dancing like Shakira and Jay-Lo.
A day or so after, the performance was still on my mind so I tracked down a video on YouTube and put a couple comments up giving my opinion, something like "thanks, our daughters need slut lessons."
Here in excited responses to my comment I was informed the halftime performance was a "demonstration of Diversity," that since I think the dancers looked same as whores have looked for centuries, I missed the point: that the Super Bowl performance was celebrating Cultural Diversity in America.
Huh?
If I were from a centuries old Hispanic family and someone told me that pole dancing was somehow demonstrative of my heritage, I would indeed turn off the TV set. (or better yet, tell her what to do with her pole...)
I'm an old Polish-German woman and I have turned it off, just tracked down this one video out of curiosity.
Now on my morning progressive radio shows I hear I'm in line with out of date right wingers because I don't think that was dancing at all, I think females are being denigrated more and more in the name of "liberation" and in a few years a lot of us will wonder how we ended up back in dead end jobs or the kitchen again.
Put your fucking clothes back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment