"The science isn't that complicated, right? It's greenhouse gases. They let in heat. They trap it. You have data, clear data, indicating an impending mega disaster. We have now run out of time. That window that we had from James Hansen's address in the 80s has closed. Next 6 to 18 months are going to require a total repudiation of all of the institutions that have lied us into this. The lie is we still have time." Below w transcribed clips- VIDEO: The Gargantuan Climate Lie with Adam McKay Sep 6, 2026
Climate Chat channel from USA since 2013
Host is Dan Miller @danmiller999.bsky.social
Guest is screenwriter, producer, and director Adam McKay who in 2023 founded Yellow Dot Studios, a non-profit production company that makes content that raises awareness and mobilizes action on the climate emergency
********
AM- So I'm working on a second piece that I'm tentatively calling The Last Window. We squandered the wonderful window that we had after Hansen's Congressional testimony in 1988
**************
trANScript
17.32
DM- By the way they're not talking about climate at all during the campaign now like no one in the Democratic party as far as I can tell except maybe just mentioned it as a word and in some longer set of important issues. What do you make of that? Is that basically what you're saying, right?
AM So I've spoken to the people because, you know, I'm in Hollywood, we have some money, so they call us. And I've spoken to the people that you would think in the Senate and the House would have some knowledge of what's going on with the rapidly, you know, fatalistically warming climate.
They have no clue and no care.
The only one I've ever spoken to who seemed to get it is Rashida Talib. She is the one that I have spoken to who got it, you know, and for a lot of your viewers and listeners, the science isn't that complicated, right? It's greenhouse gases. They let in heat. They trap it. You look at the numbers. You look at the Earth energy imbalance. How much heat are we taking in, letting out, and that's kind of it; you can get into like murkier rates of change, you know, flickering, phasing, but for the most part, it's pretty simple science.
And I'm not going to name names because then those people will never talk to me again. But you would be shocked by the people that have like I've talked to and I've said, "Hey, you've got a real problem. You're talking about food supply chains. You're talking about reservoirs like water and they have no idea because they're living in a culture in Washington DC that's all about poll numbers, donors, money.
And so, you know, when we look to the future, what's coming in the next 6 to 18 months, which is going to be serious stuff., I think in our minds we have to kind of discount the American the United States federal government and we have to discount mainstream media. I think they become very dangerous.
If you're listening to the New York Times daily podcast, if you're watching CNN, you're going to really be living in an alternative financial market-based reality which can really put you in serious jeopardy.
DM- Right. By the way, so the lie is we still have time; actually as you point out in the article, it comes in many different forms like one you mentioned was you know net zero by 2050 and these kind of things. Can you walk us through some of these forms that we see this like? Because it's not all people just saying, "Hey, we have time," but they-
21.30
AM- Yeah, it's the center of the lie is that climate warming, rapid climate man-caused warming, is a political issue. It's something to Yeah. do something about because it's for our great grand-kids. It's something our corporate partners are working with us on. There are so many different versions of the lie.
But they all circle the central idea that we have more time, that experts are working on it. They're not. And the result is that we have now run out of time. That window that we had from James Hansen's address in the 80s has closed.
^^^^
We have now run out of time. That window that we had from James Hansen's address in the 80s has closed.
*********
I mean, it is over and we're now in a very dangerous, tumultuous stage. So, you know, the lie takes many forms. I remember when Biden announced that he was stepping down and then there was this lame duck period that he had and I was like, why wouldn't you declare a climate emergency at that point?
Keep in mind, it's nothing to declare an emergency. If you look at the list of issues that the federal government has declared emergency or war on, it's crazy. I mean things like pink eye and like [laughter] you know dogs in hot cars are on there. By the way dogs that should be an emergency scene.
So, I remember when Biden withdrew and I was pulling my hair out because mainstream news media, no one was mentioning that he should declare a climate emergency. He's unplugged from the donor millions of dollars. He no longer has to worry about elections. And I would say the same thing about Barack Obama.
And both of those examples point to how deep the corruption and rot is that that system. It's creating candidates and elected officials who have no part of themselves that cares about the public good.
You know, there was a study out of Princeton, I think it was 2012, that showed statistically there is no correlation between the will of the people and policy outcome in Washington DC. But when you look at the interest of big money in the same study, it's one to one.
So there's no country like the United States except maybe the UK where we're hit with the level of feelgood marketing advertising propaganda. And it's extremely upsetting to see this disaster rolling towards my family, friends, communities, former home towns. And whenever I bring it up, they act like, "Oh, Adam's just worried about the climate. That's kind of his thing. That's his thing."
DM- Yeah, I get that all the time. You're, you know, it's like being, as they say, it's like flatulence at a cocktail party, you know, like they people don't really want to hang around you when you're talking about it.
JUMP TO
46.25
Leon Simons- I wanted to ask you to talk a bit about the letter you wrote to to all governors, mayors, first responders, and anyone entrusted with public safety, disaster preparedness and relief about the ongoing super El Nino which is still about to have impact on the global climate and I sign it as well. Can you talk about it a bit?
AM- Yeah. So, you guys know, and I'm sure most of the people watching this know that it's rare that you have data, clear data, indicating an impending mega disaster, and no one talks about it.
*******
You have data, clear data, indicating an impending mega disaster and no one talks about it.
************
Actually, I said it's rare and that's not true because more and more in the United States that's become the pattern. Whether it's legalizing opioids with a prescription, completely legalizing sports gambling, you know, for-profit healthcare. I mean, the list of mega fatal disasters that America normalizes to keep the financial markets up. It is it it really is too long to list.
48.04
So the goal of the letter that we wrote that we got people like yourselves to sign- a mixture of scientists, activists, climate journalists, notable citizens like Mark Ruffalo and Jane Fonda- the goal of that letter was to specifically appeal to governors, mayors, and first responders.
We felt like the federal government in the United States is too collapsed. It's just they're all in crazy land. There's zero chance that the federal government is going to respond to what the disaster that we're heading into.
But we felt like if mayors of major cities and governors were appealed to, we knew the majority would ignore it because they're only concerned about poll numbers and donor checks. But we figured even if a couple of them saw it and took it in, that could save thousands of lives. And sure enough, we heard from I think it's three governors, maybe four. One of them, a Republican, by the way. And no, we did not hear from Governor Newsom or a bunch of Democratic governors. We did not hear from Karen Bass and a bunch of corrupt Democratic mayors. But the or from the president. What's that?
LS- Or from the president.
AM- We didn't even send it to the president. [laughter] That would be like us giving the letter to like a squirrel. Like [laughter] so we didn't even bother.
By the way, we also sent the letter to I think a dozen or two dozen mayors of big international cities.
And so yeah, the idea was even if we don't hear from them, even if they just read it, given the scale of the impending disaster, if just a couple do a little bit more than what they normally would have done, it could save a lot of lives.
***********
Sign Yellow Dot Studios' El Niño Warming Letter: https://yellowdotstudios.com/elninowa...
******************
JUMP TO
3442
DM- into this moment that in the article about the 2C and the 3C and the two and the four billion.
So we're talking really pretty bad here; any thoughts on how to counter this lie. You didn't really, you didn't really get into that in the article.
AM- So, I am working on a second piece that I'm tentatively calling the last window. And we squandered the wonderful window that we had. I, you know, loosely and unofficially I would mark Hansen's address to Congress in 1988.
DM-1988
AM- Yep as the beginning of that window. And even though we've known the science about climate warming for a long time and that window had a lot of heady wonderful theories, pledges, conferences, but as we sit here with a three-year average of 1.5 degrees Celsius warming and I think like Today we're at 1.85 even though that's daily. It's not a larger average; and then the El Nino looks insane, which more and more seems like the El Nino,, in a kind of physics sense, like an explosion seems to be a way that the ocean is burping out heat and giving us bumps. And that's not just me saying that.
There are scientists theorizing they're becoming more frequent, more powerful.
So I think we're going to have one last tight window and I don't know if that window for action is 3 months, six, seven, but it's going to require a total repudiation of all of the institutions that have lied us into this moment.
***********
all of the institutions that have lied us into this moment.
******************
JUMP TO 50.50
DM- You would never vote for an elected official who was saying like, "Look, we have a lot of excess arsenic. We want to start putting it in school lunches." You wouldn't vote for that person.
I think you really put your finger on one of the biggest lies in history of this planet.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFU7LqchidY
ADAM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_McKay
DIY Hospice on a Heating Planet Blog posts transcripts because videos can disappear but the digital printed word lives forever

No comments:
Post a Comment