Not just L.A., the City of Angels Is Everywhere
From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Saturday, September 21, 2024

Affordable child care & home health care, extending child tax credit, these things strengthen our economy- Harris current stump speech

Transcript of KH appearance 09.17.24 video linked below

“We have a shortage of housing… let's just take this and deal with it head on… engage homebuilders, with tax credits to give them the incentive to create new housing, 3 million by the end of my first term.”


[Blogger’s note, this project started because I could not find H Clinton’s 2016 stump speech*** for something I was writing few months back, so… ]

TRANSCRIPT:

Q: We want to start on an issue that Americans across the country say is their number one concern and that's the economy. A question that has been asked of you and everybody that's on the Democratic side is whether or not voters are better off now than they were four years ago are they better off now than they were four years ago?

Kamala Harris: Well first of all let me just say it is good to be with the National Association of Black Journalists and I thank you for the work you do and that your members do every day. It is very important that we ensure that this organization and your members always have the resources and the platforms to deliver the voices that must be heard, so I thank you for hosting me today.

Four years ago when we came in, we came in during the worst unemployment since the Great Depression, we came in during the worst Public Health epidemic in centuries, we came in after the worst attack on our democracy since the Civil War, and a lot of it due in large part to the mismanagement by the former president as it relates to covid and obviously January Sixth.

And we had then a lot of work to do to clean up a mess. As of today we have created over 16 million new jobs over 800,000 new manufacturing jobs. We have the lowest black unemployment rate in Generations, we have invested in small businesses and they're to the benefit of many people but including black small businesses, some of the highest rate of creation of new black small businesses in years.

We have done the work of capping the cost of prescription medication for our seniors for issues like insulin- and again I'm speaking to the black journalists who care about all people, but in particular i'll talk about the impact on black people, where we know black folks are times more likely 60% more likely to be diagnosed with diabetes. And we have now finally capped the cost of insulin for our seniors at $35 a month capped the cost of prescription medication for our seniors at $2,000 a year.

Because we, unlike the former president who promised to do it, we finally have allowed Medicare to negotiate drug prices against the big pharmaceutical companies. And these are just some of the accomplishments.

Is the price of groceries still too high, yes, do we have more work to do, yes and I will tell you-

I do believe that I offer a new generation of leadership for our country that is about in particular turning the page on an era that sadly has shown us attempts by some to incite fear, to create division in our country, and to do the work that is about bringing some level of optimism. And dare I say ambition about what I know is possible in our country.

!!!

An opportunity economy where all people have access to the resources to compete to apply their incredible work ethic their ambition their aspirations and their dreams.

!!!!!!

And so my plan for the economy includes what I imagine and believe and call an opportunity economy, what we can do to grow an opportunity economy where all people have access to the resources to compete, to apply their incredible work ethic, their ambition, their aspirations, and their dreams.

And actually not just get by but get ahead. And I can talk in more detail about it but specifically. I'll mention a few things yeah.

One of the big issues that affects people right now in terms of the economy and their economic well-being is we have a shortage of housing supply. It's too expensive people can't afford to buy a home.

Our parents had the ability to somehow believe the American dream was attainable. Not so much for younger working people. And I recognize that.

So my Approach is a new approach which is to say let's just take this and deal with it head on. And part of my Approach is I'm going to employ and engage the private sector, in particular homebuilders, with tax credits to give them the incentive to create new housing, 3 million by the end of my first term.

And understanding that not everybody is, you know, handed a a silver spoon, works hard, and is trying to save up for a down payment.

Part of my plan under my opportunity economy is to give first-time home buyers a $25,000 down payment assistance, so they can just get their foot in the door, to be able to then engage in what will prove to be their opportunity to build intergenerational wealth.

And here's my personal experience. I grew up a middle- class kid my mother was hard working. She raised me and my sister Maya. She saved up and it was only by the time I was a teenager that she could afford to actually buy her first home and I know and I identify with I know where I come from. [OVERLAPPING] and I know but I'm just going to finish. I know that so many people work so hard and should have the opportunity to just get their foot in the door. Again so it's not just about getting by but getting ahead

Q:  Please I'd like to ask you more about the opportunity economy. Housing is part of it as well as expanding the earned income tax credit financial support as you mentioned for first-time buyers and $25,000 tax deduction for startups and small businesses. But I want to talk to you about the squeeze that millions of Americans are also dealing with that impacts their ability to work and make money, and that is child care and elder care, and it's a squeeze for millions of people. In some parts of the country it costs more for child care than for rents, I think Bloomberg recently reported an average of $33,000 a year. So I'm just wondering you mentioned that in your opportunity economy, a child tax credit; but that's just one part of an ecosystem. Please tell us what plans will you propose to guarantee that families can actually afford child care and elder care?

20:20 

KH; So to your point, it is it is sadly the State of Affairs in our country that working people often have to decide to either be able to work or be able to afford Child Care, like they can't afford child care and actually do the work that they want to do because it's too expensive. And it doesn't actually level out in terms of the expense versus the income.

My plan is that no family, no Working Families, should pay more than 7% of their income in child care. Because I know that when you talk about the return on that investment, allowing people to work allowing people to pursue their dreams, in terms of how they want to work, where they want to work- benefits us all. It strengthens the entire economy.

We saw for example during the pandemic what happened, and it sadly has dissipated as a conversation that we need to resuscitate, which is the number of women that had to leave the workforce because of a lack of child care and home health care. And so many of our families- and particular women- end up carrying the responsibility, men do too of course, what we call people who are in the sandwich generation who have young children and are also taking care of their parents.

And it is just absolutely too expensive for them to be able to work and do that.

So my plan is not only about 7% of income for working people for child care, but also we need to do better for our child care providers, and our home health care providers, in terms of ensuring that they receive the wages that they deserve based on the Dignity of their work. I have spent time with Home Health Care Providers and their work is some of the most taxing work you can imagine, and I actually –

When my mother was sick with cancer, I did a lot in terms of taking care care of her. And the the work that is about taking care of a loved one in particular an elder is extraordinarily heavy, in terms of the emotional toll, the time it takes.  And we do it because that is what we do.

!!!!!

We need to make sure we have home healthcare workers.

!!!!!!

But not everyone has the ability to take time from work to do it, and they need help. And we need to make sure we have home healthcare workers that can help them.

But I want to get back to the earlier point that you made about extending the child tax credit.

So part of my new approach is we need to expand the child tax credit.

And so part of my plan that is- under an opportunity economy- is to extend and expand the child tax credit to $6,000 so that young families- in particular for the first year of their child's life which is an extraordinarily important time in their development- have the resources to be able to buy a crib, buy a car seat, buy children's clothing, and not have to worry about whether they're going to be able to meet their other needs.

And I will. I don't need to remind anybody here especially these  esteemed journalists, but when we expanded the child tax credit a couple years ago, we reduced child poverty by half. And so again, if you talk about the benefit and if you think about the benefit to the economy overall, it strengthens our economy to do things like pay attention to affordable child care, affordable home health care, and extending the child tax credit.

END OF TRANSCRIPT

Watch the entire 50 min speech at “Vice President Kamala Harris attends NABJ event in Philadelphia” on youtube

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=r3gvtiascga&t=668s

Webkigged by Kay Ebeling, volunteering my blog to help Harris/Walz get elected

Previous stump speeches this month

Kamala Harris stump speech as of September 3

 Another addition to the cofa Blog Transcript Project 

Trump stump speech, TRANSCRIPT here from PA rally 08.30


Continuing to document our strange times with readable transcripts, so years from now readers can come to this blog and try to figure out what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment