From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Making everyone on the bus laugh

*
As I got back on the bus, the driver who’d overheard an earlier conversation I had said to me, “Don’t believe what Crazy Mary says, she makes things up.” On an earlier ride, Mary, the very wrinkled lady who always wears a safari hat, replied to news I was moving into Senior Housing by telling me Harry the gambler was supposed to get that apartment, so now he was going to be gunning for me. But I already didn't believe her.
I told Jay the driver, “Oh I know Mary. A few months back, every time I got on the bus, she’d complain and get off right away, saying I smelled like weed.” As I walked back to a seat I continued, “And that just can't be true. Because I never exhale, it's too expensive.”
I sat down looked up and everybody EVERYBODY on the bus was laughing. Not just a short laugh, but one of those long, thoughtful laughs that last a long moment. Their chuckling noise blended with the sound of traffic, and they were nodding at me in appreciation, every person on the bus.
It's very gratifying to make people laugh and I think as I enter this time of life called Old Age, I'll be doing a lot of that. This little old lady’s life is FULL of comedy material.


Kay Ebeling
*

No comments:

Post a Comment