From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Friday, February 15, 2019

Walter Cronkite quote shows more things change, more they stay the same

bout the good of our party.”
‘As he read his statement, delegates rose in their chairs and shook their fists toward our booths in the balcony. Eisenhower looked startled by the reaction.
‘The episode concerned me. I had never heard Eisenhower express such opinions before. . . . [later] I brought up the offensive paragraph. Ike seemed surprised, as if he hadn’t heard those words before, let alone uttered them. He stumbled around in what seemed to be almost an apology. I got the distinct impression that the import of the words had not struck him as he rehearsed his speechwriters’ work.’
From “A Reporter’s Life” by Walter Cronkrite [1997], a book that showed up on the free table here in Tahoe Senior Plaza the other day and as I read through it, I came across that tidbit, showing the more things change, the more they stay the same. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment