From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Traveling the world by Kitchen Nightmare episode and Google Maps

 I'm taking a Kitchen Nightmares tour across UK. I still want to move new places and live there a year or two then move on like I used to, but at 72 serendipitous travel is kinda getting hard, plus with Covid it may be years beforelike it is even safe. So lately I watch an episode of Ramsay's tour of restaurants in England, then go to Google maps and find the restaurant, take the little google man down to street level, then meander from that town to London or Liverpool or Dover. DOVER! When I finally do get to take another trip, I want to stay in one of the beachfront hotels near Dover, with quick access to France.  Anyway, lately sans Kitchen Nightmares I've been to Paris and several small towns in Italy.  But the TV show helps because I see if I can understand the accents, see if I really even want to go to that town, and have decided I have no use for Liverpool anymore.  Now MALTA* I'm good to go. My god the entire little island nation of Malta in the Mediterranean is wonderful, plus they have English signs everywhere. Low prices, as does Dover, surprisingly. Google maps shows you hotels and short term rentals, I could afford both place. I think USA military has a history in Malta hence all the English, or maybe I'm thinking of Humphrey Bogart…

Traveling by Google Maps saves me so much money, I get to eat food that I'm familiar with and not get groaty stomach, well I still do because I'm not the greatest cook… I have to admit, taking the Kitchen Nightmares tour of USA and now UK, I actually am glad I can't go out to eat or travel much these days. Most restaurants are not clean enough for a germaphobe like me.  Plus the whole world looks like L.A. now, full of cars and congestion, well, except the north of England, I'm still fixated on UK. But the whole Western world looks rundown and crumbling, everything humans have built last few centuries is now crumbling. Asian cities look cleanest and most modern and I don't think they'd want a 72 year old almost broke American woman to show up, especially not now. 

I'm better off vacationing from home, what's the word for it stay-cation?  Imagine trying to avoid Covid in the train station of a foreign country. I'd have to wear diapers… not a good time for me to travel.  

PS watching families argue on the show, I do not mind that I'm alone now either. Thank you, Gordon Ramsay. 

Link: 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Hj4nIIdyJDBFcsZUjJKCXdO_mtGY4Pc 

Maybe I should write a make-believe travel blog based on Google Map trips...

* I learned about Malta through my job as a transcriber, as Jurassic World Dominion shot the dinosaur market scenes there and I worked on the EPK for that film last week. Took a Google Map tour and found affordable places to rent there also... all without leaving my lounge chair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment