From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Saturday, November 4, 2017

At least Trump supporters and me agree on some thing

“They're poisoning us,” she said, and I agreed with her, but then she added, “Thanks to Mrs. Obama,” and the conversation came to a stop. 
But as I drove away, I thought, I agree with her that someone is trying to poison us. I was on the interstate where if one stops to eat, the only choices are fast food franchises and convenience stores. At my last stop I’d stood perplexed in front of a row of coolers, not able to find anything that was not full of corn syrup and soda. So all I’d been eating was crackers and even those had a strange too-crisp texture.
Now I was in a town in Southern Oregon that last time I’d visited in 1969 was populated by hippies, and I'm sure some of that landscape under the freeway was once a serene riverfront. I find a place someone recommended because it is Old Fashioned Home Made Donuts.
Here, the owner tells me, she thinks the government is trying to poison us, and I engage her, because I'm thinking there may be a story here.
“How do you think they're poisoning us?”
“Well,” she sniffs, “Thanks to Mrs. Obama.”
Like that is all she needed to say for me and I’d agree, instead I said, “What did Michelle Obama do?”
The donut maker is angry that she was forced to switch to soy oil as part of the First Lady’s effort to make Americans more healthy and I kind of agree with her, I mean it's a donut, it's not supposed to be a source of nourishment, it's fun food. I mean, where does this regulation of every step in your life stop?
*
Since she appeared to be an Obama hater, I didn't continue the conversation. But now months later, I think about it, because although she and I were coming from opposite political sides, we agreed without question that the food available now is so bad that it's as if the government was trying to poison us.
I think there are other ways we can “reach across the aisle” so to speak, just leave out the politics and try to talk to people who support Trump.
Perhaps they just have been fed a different kind of propaganda last few years.
Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment