From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Trumpinistas have been seeking fellow travelers among us for years...

Twice I've had this experience. A woman and I are talking about something mundane in a store when she mistakes me for a fellow Fox News Zombie and tries to engage me in right wing lunacy. 
One time was in a Walgreens in Chicago. A round woman in upscale suburban dress sidled up to be as we waited near the prescription counter and somehow the conversation went from nail files to her saying, “We’d be better off if we got rid of all these Mexicans, wouldn't we.” 
Quiet, whispered, like a spy passing a message to another spy, she must have expected me to nod in collusion and agreement. Because I'm white, I was middle aged and overweight with droopy blond hair like her, she probably thought I was a fellow traveler.
Instead I backed away from her as if she’d accosted me. Shocked.
I came back to California and moved to Tahoe. Next place it happened was in a Kinko's type place in the shopping strip that holds my grocery store.
As I’m readying my papers for the copier, the owner sidles up to me and after I asked her, “Where is the stapler?” she felt comfortable saying, “What we really need is a flat tax, don’t you agree?” That was the hot topic at the time among right wingers, that Poor People Don't Pay Enough Taxes.
She spoke in that same seditious voice as the women in Chicago, thinking I'm a fellow traveler, because in this California resort town where most locals are Really Broke and Show It, I am really broke but manage to look middle class because I know how to find clothes at Ross.
Softly, too close, she says to me, “We'd all be better off if everyone paid the same tax rate.” And she looked into my eyes expecting the Hate Radio talk byte response.
Instead I took my business elsewhere, saying, “Yeah there's not enough income inequality in the country now let's make it worse.”
She was shocked, surprised, that I wasn’t going to repeat back to her a Pavlov Dog response because in Northern California many middle class whites are Fox News Zombies.
I Cannot Wait until the federal investigations going on now prove that most right wing wacko sound bytes originated in St. Petersburg, and I don't mean Florida.
Good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment