From 2017, read Transcripts documenting the coup interviews with Malcolm Nance
Funded by readers through PayPal, available for all to read

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Do you listen to Elvis or the Beatles?


.
I keep noticing how different I am from the other people at the Senior Centers with which I've just started to interact.  It reminds me of the "generation gap" period in the mid-to-late 1960s.  My oldest  sister listened to Elvis, people my age listened to the Beatles.  My oldest sister supported the war in Vietnam, I supported the AWOL escaping to Canada.

There was a chism between age groups in the late 1960s, a split that separated us, almost estranged us,  and in the years since the Vietnam War, most of us forgot about it.  But now it springs back as I'm entering the senior demographic. Think how much more fun it will be at senior center dances when they start playing Bruce Springsteen and Jimi Hendrix.

(Blogger says "chism" is not a word.  I went to Dictionary dot com and evidently it's not a word.  All my life I thought "chism" meant a break or split.  Where did I get that?

Oh.  It's schism!)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment